Friday, August 6, 2010

Wouldn't Change A Thing

I really don’t know what to write about this week. There has been a lot going on here, though. Daniel started his new job on Wednesday, which is exciting because it pays better and will allow him the option of working from home part of the time after six months. It also is getting him into more of the business side of the psychology field, which will hopefully open up additional doors for him in the future.

As I write this, Charlie is sitting contentedly in his kick and play bouncy seat watching me. I’ve been finding myself with less free time as he spends more and more time awake and alert during the day, but at least he is happy to sit still for a while. Plus, he slept for six hours straight last night, which is his new record! Of course, I was only asleep for five of those hours, but still—awesome!

I must say that having a baby living with us is really making me feel the size of our small house. When our bathroom sink multitasks as a place to scrub yellow stains out of tiny night shirts and onesies and I can barely move around in our living room without stubbing my toe on something or another because of all the baby equipment sitting around, I really start looking forward to building our new, bigger house.

Who knows when that will be, though, if things keep up the way they’re going. Every time we figure out a way to pay down some extra student loan debt, something happens: the hot water heater last month, a maternity hospital bill that was higher than we expected, and now Daniel’s car. It wouldn’t start for him this afternoon (Thursday), and it’s not the battery, so we had it towed to a shop nearby. I’m still waiting to hear what the mechanic has to say about it. We really got a lemon when we bought that car last September—we’ve already had to have several repairs done. It makes me never want to buy a used car again. Anyway, I’m praying that whatever it is, it’s not too big of a deal and they can have it fixed and ready for Daniel to drive home this evening. Otherwise Charlie and I will have to drive an hour to pick him up tonight and then Daniel will need to take my car to work tomorrow, which would mean I couldn’t drive down to see my friends tomorrow afternoon like I had planned. Stupid piece of junk!

Still, I have to keep reminding myself that even with our small house and a difficult automobile, we have it so much better than most of the rest of the world. We are comfortable, and we’re happy. Especially with an adorable seven week old bringing so much joy to our lives every day! If we had waited another year before having a baby, we could have paid down all of our student loan debt because I would still be working and would be that much closer to getting our new house… but having Charlie is infinitely better than that. Like I said last week, I wouldn’t change a thing (except for perhaps buying a different car last fall).

Now that I’ve vented a little bit, it’s back to work/play. There’s a little boy that would like my attention, and that is perfectly fine with me!

No comments: