Friday, November 19, 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year... almost

With only one week until Thanksgiving, I am starting to get so excited about Charlie’s first holiday season! I am sure that this enthusiasm will be oft repeated throughout this next month, so be prepared.

Next week is going to be very eventful. My dear cousin Rose is coming from Ohio on Tuesday night to stay at our house, a day ahead of her family who will be staying at my parents’ for Thanksgiving weekend, as is tradition. Rose will be meeting Charlie for the first time and I am so excited to spend all day with her on Wednesday. Daniel, Charlie, and I will be joining Daniel’s family for Thanksgiving dinner, which will be the first time having Thanksgiving dinner somewhere other than with my own parents and siblings.

I’m looking forward to it, although from what I understand they put marshmallows on their sweet potato casserole. I imagine some of you readers do this also, but it just sounds weird to me. The topping to which I am accustomed is a delicious crusty and crumbly combination of brown and white sugars, butter, and chopped walnuts. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! So, I don’t know about sweet potatoes with marshmallows. We shall see.

And obviously, this will be Charlie’s first Thanksgiving, which is special even though he isn’t eating solid foods yet. Next year, he’ll really be able to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner!

On Friday, we are going to a family reunion for my mom’s side of the family being held at my parents’ house. I fully expect it to be crowded and loud, but fun! My grandparents have eleven children, all of whom will be there as far as I know, plus their spouses. Then there are the 29 grandchildren, some of whom will be bringing significant others. I only know of one of my cousins not being able to make it for sure. And then there is Charlie, the only great-grandchild so far. I hope he isn’t overwhelmed by so many people!

Then comes the first Sunday of Advent, a season which I love! I’ve even already gotten all of my Christmas shopping done (well, all except for one thing), so I can hopefully prepare for Christmas fairly peacefully this year. Ahhh, Christmas… my favorite time of year. I really can’t wait to watch Charlie’s eyes widen at the sight of a twinkling, decorated tree in our house; and to help him learn to rip the wrapping paper off of his presents! He will be too little to understand what any of it is all about or to remember it later, but I know that Daniel and I will remember this Christmas.

1 comment:

Giel said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your whole family! May it will be a wonderful beginning of the 2010 holiday season! God bless. And THANK YOU for your blog that i love.